Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mama Jean's Kitchen Musings

Last weekend I needed to decide on a Sunday meal. No checking email, or blogging, or getting bogged down by machinery. Sundays are family days. That means coming up with ideas to be one with my boys and cooking up some healthy and delicious food. So as I watched my 10 and 13 year old boys run with 5 of the other neighborhood children, I got down to work in the kitchen.
First off, I whipped up some brunch of homemade waffles made of spelt and King Arthur flour with a handsome helping of black strap molasses in the batter. I peeled a pineapple for some fruit and sauteed bananas in local New York maple syrup -- the real stuff. My boys and two of their friends came in for a hot brunch. In Western New York we have had a grumpy wet and cold spring. So hot meal was good for the kids.
Then with pineapple available I threw together a sour cream pineapple cake. I had an organic box vanilla cake mix and added some chopped pineapple and sour cream and blended all until very smooth. I made a cream cheese frosting adding a tablespoon or two of pineapple juice. With that in the oven, I turned to the meal preparation for Sunday evening. I had shopped the day before at our local farmer and picked up baby back pork ribs. Using two separate crock pots, I simmered a barbecue sauce with more black strap molasses and real maple syrup as well as a smaller crock pot of ribs and sauerkraut and sweet onions. The aroma of these crock pots stewing all day filled our home.
My parents joined us for a feast and the ribs and pineapple, sour cream cake were hits with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment