Saturday, May 7, 2011

Just Making the Dinner Decision is Relief

So, once the decision is made about what to have for dinner -- partly based on what's stocked in the fridge or pantry or what needs to be prepared before it goes bad -- a great relief washes over me. Having been up more than half the night with a croupy 10 year old, I was happy for some relaxation that cooking offers me and needed to prep something before being overcome by the need for some sleep.
This past week I decided to cook up some more ribs having purchased from our local farmer both pork and beef ribs -- all grass fed, pasture raised. I had gone perhaps a bit overboard with my purchase of ribs this week. But the beef short ribs were defrosted and needed to be cooked up. So I concocted another recipe with an Asian inspiration. I put the short ribs in the crock pot along with a marinade of rice wine vinegar, low sodium soy sauce, maple syrup, black strap molasses, orange juice, crushed red pepper, fresh ginger and garlic along with hearty our of a store bought (from Wegmans) marinade and carrots and red cabbage.
Brewing all day, the short ribs and veggies were sweet, succulent and fall off the bone tender. I served them with steamed green beans and mashed potatoes. The gravy was a perfect combination of sweet and tangy with just a hint of picante. True comfort food for a cool spring day after a night of coughing and very little sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment